Skip to main content

A Weekend EsCAPE

Everyone deserves to have those bursting-with-happiness memories. You know, the ones that leave you with a swollen heart and feeling #blessed.

I’m lucky to have had many of those moments throughout my life, including this weekend.

Aside from sharing a bit of my little getaway, I wanted to reassure you after my very dramatic post about the emotional challenges of living in the greater Boston area that I am taking care of myself and doing fun things (for those of you wondering, my mom has called me every day since).

Although I absolutely struggle being away from my four favorite people (hi fam) on the daily, I am building a strong community that’s steadily turning into my New England extended family. I’m constantly in awe of the warmness and welcome so many people have granted me (a stranger) in these two years. There are many examples of generosity and just overall human goodness I could cornily describe, but I’ll save you some time.

But because of these people I’ve underservengily come to know, I had a weekend I want to bottle up and keep on my wall of memories for years.

-----

I’ve been stressed. It’s no secret. There’s been a lot that’s happened in the year 2018. And lately I’ve been crying at literally anything that moves me (many times I’ve found myself silently sobbing into a cup of coffee because I just cannot deal). Let me humor you with some recent examples:

Realizing your sister is getting married in less than 100 days *ensue how-did-we-get-so-old tears*

Waking up at 4:45AM to pound out 8 miles *ensue I-have-never-been-more-exhausted-in-my-life tears*

A coworker fistbumping you because he recognizes you’re having a rough day *ensue what-did-I-do-to-deserve-these-people tears*

A close friend speaking verbatim the words on your heart *ensue I-am-not-alone-in-this tears*

Your brother moving into his first adult apartment *ensue how-did-we-get-so-old tears...again*

All of this stuff is happy, but for some reason I haven’t been able to properly process it. I needed a weekend away.

-----

You know when it’s so easy to be around certain people you don’t have to worry about what you look like, much of what you say, or even plan every minute you spend together cause you know things will naturally happen?

I’m in a relationship with this sweet guy who happens to have a twin brother with a wicked fun fiance. So every time we’re together we have an instant double date (you guys, it’s SO FUN). This particular weekend the four of us were able to sneak off to the Cape (special shoutout to the Hogan fam for making this possible)!

I cannot tell you the amount of laughs we shared, embarrassing stories I heard and rounds of Euchre we played. Bonding over cups of coffee and delicious homemade meals, a long bike ride and shared prayers left me oozing with feelings of hygge (yes, this is a real word).

This short escape was a great reminder to slow life down when you’re given the space, to let things breathe, gosh-darn-it, and surrender what you can’t control.

So yeah. There’s been a lot of change and heightened emotion this year and much more to come in these last few months. But even amidst the chaos (as I attempt to throw energy into every demanding facet), God provides me outlets and people to reset my focus:

It’s in an early morning run with David as we casually chat about life and watch the sunrise that God reminds me He’s given me a strong, loyal shoulder to lean on if I can’t stand alone.

It’s in an intentional conversation with Brian as we talk about the strengths of a life partner that God nudges me to follow His plan and not my own.

It’s in squeals shared with Kateri about the next chapter(s) of her life that God encourages me to enjoy the big moments happening right now (even if they aren’t convenient).

It’s in exploring adorable neighborhoods, skipping rocks, watching romantic movies, making sub-par cookies, snuggling with tea, stumbling upon festivals, devouring pizza, befriending kids at church, folding laundry, getting stuck in traffic, and being present to one another that I’m familiarly embraced with Love.


-----

Ohhh yes, it was indeed a weekend to esCAPE (see what I did there?).

Here’s to building off this energy and frolicking through fall.

Comments