Skip to main content

Matters of the Heart

One of the best parts of being human is the ability to feel. The range of emotions we’re capable of experiencing is such a beautiful gift from God. But in order to feel the extremes of some (or all) of these emotions, we’re called to fully embrace life and the opportunities we’re given.

As an introvert, I haven’t always been the best with diving head first into anything new or unfamiliar. I’ve been okay playing the spunky sidekick best friend as I’ve lived vicariously through many of my pals’ relationships. I never minded handing over the box of tissues after a breakup or giving hugs (and lots of validation) after enduring a long argument with a significant other.

But even as I watched comfortably from the sidelines (admittedly sometimes enviously), I knew my time would come.

--------

As I’ve grown up and discovered more of who I am, I'm more mindful of what type of person I want to end up with. No, I don’t have a specific list (tall, dreamy eyes and a huge heart would suffice) but I don't willingly hand my heart over to just anyone.

And even when I have found someone I believe complements me, shares my values, has similar goals, and I can easily see myself laughing throughout the rest of life with, I’m cautious. Can I really trust them with my heart?

--------

Everyone’s felt it at one point in their lives. The sting of rejection. Being tossed aside like yesterday’s newspaper. Whether it’s being picked last at recess or having to be told by a significant other’s sibling that basically ... you’re unlovable, there’s nothing that can prepare you for the shock of immense hurt.

You receive the information through your ears (or eyes if they’re cowardice enough to send the harrowing information over a text), it travels to the brain and gives you shivering goosebumps from head to toe. Once it hits the heart (which may take a couple of hours or even days depending on personal processing time), devastation paralyzes you to the point of a breakdown (see: uncontrollable sobbing collapsed to the ground in a coworker’s office in the middle of the morning).

Moments begin to replay in your mind, thoughts rush through your head and your heart convinces you:

You’re not good enough. Maybe he’s looking for someone better than me. Maybe my flaws are so annoying that no one can realistically put up with them. Maybe I planned too much of our potential future in my head.

You’re not attractive enough. Maybe it was my acne scars or the way I wear my hair 98% of the time. Maybe I’m too tall or he doesn’t like that I carry an extra few pounds on my thighs.

You’re not enough of what he’s looking for. Maybe if I made him laugh more or didn’t suggest eating vegetables. Maybe I shouldn’t have pushed him to spread his wings. Maybe I was too boring.

Melissa, you shouldn’t have even tried because you are not enough.

--------

So ladies, why do we keep doing it? Why do we keep putting ourselves out there only to get it handed back to us? Why over and over again do we take the leap of faith?

To live? To feel? To hope this time it might actually be forever?

--------

My coworker cradled me into a motherly hug as I broke down (literally) into her shoulder, “Give yourself one day to wallow,” she said. “Then pick yourself back up and press forward.”

That’s all we can do, right? From the little strength we have from praying a daily Rosary or attending Mass, we pray for the people who’ve hurt us (even if you want to scream at how their dishonesty shattered your heart), pick up the pieces and move on.

Oh and make a really big cup of lemon-chamomile tea, cause that’s the only thing to do when life hands you lemons.

Comments