Skip to main content

12 Days of Love Letters

Writing letters is my jam.

I studied the - as some would say - dying art for my final undergrad comprehensive senior project (The Greeting Card’s Survival in a Digital World, it was a fun topic). I’m a devoted letter writer and proudly (and consistently) have at least 3 people I correspond with via snail mail. I get giddy every time I open my 7 inch mailbox and find my name scrawled on a well-traveled envelope (on rough days you may even find me cracking a grin at junk mail). And I always, always have cardstock or some sort of stationary coupled with colorful envelopes on hand.

There’s something about a letter; holding a piece of paper that someone else miles away held only days before, picturing how your penpal leaned over their kitchen counter in thought as their arm flew across the page and thoughts formulated in ink. Letters take time, sincere effort and carry a certain nostalgic only-seen-in-movies-and-books kind of charm.

----
One of my love languages is words of affirmation, which definitely plays a part into my partiality toward the written word. So when my sister sent me the link to ‘12 Days of Love Letters’ I was drooling over the opportunity to be a part of the thoughtful gesture.

Spreading holiday cheer to strangers through love letters? Count. Me. In.

Here’s what the movement is all about: From December 3-14, The World Needs More Love Letters (an awesome organization that does exactly what it sounds like: facilitates sending love letters to people all over the world) is rolling out its biggest, grandest, most festive love letter writing campaign of the year: 12 days, 12 letter requests, and a whole lot of holiday cheer.

Each day you’ll find a new letter request on the More Love Letters blog from someone who needs a little bit of inspiration and support, especially during the holidays. You can choose to submit as many letters as you want: to the one person who’s story resonates with you or if you’re feeling real ambitious, all twelve! The choice is yours (but is probably dependent on how much free time you have).

If this sounds like something up your alley, grab your friends or family and rally together to bring some goodwill to others this season. All letters should be postmarked by December 20, 2018 and will be bundled up with other letters from across the world and delivered by the new year!

------

To give you an example of what a letter may look like, I’ll let you peek at mine.

Today I’m writing to Maria. Maria’s sister reached out (aren’t sisters the best?) and requested a letter bundle for her while she’s going through a rough time. She wrote:

I think Maria has never felt happy. It’s sad to say, but she is twenty-six years old and she hasn’t really experienced happiness. The other day we were talking, and she told me in broken words how much she hates the anxiety she feels because she believes she hasn’t left a mark on the world.

Our mom, who is sick, wants to see us girls happy, but Maria is anxious all the time. She’s worried no one is ever going to love her, and that she is missing something or someone she hasn’t experienced yet. Maria has few aspirations, because something deep down inside of her is telling her to just stop trying.

She told me she wants to give up, and she sounded so broken that it broke me too. Please, any words are helpful right now.

-------
Ugh. My heart goes out to this young woman, cause who hasn’t been there (see my previous blog posts)? Here’s my letter to her:

My dearest Maria,

Although we are strangers sitting hundreds of miles away from each other, I want you to know that you are not alone.

The heaviness and darkness you feel trapped in is a familiar feeling. Sometimes it seems like there will be no end to the numb and indifferent sorrow that follows you everywhere you go.

But I’m here to remind you: You are beautiful. In the way you dress up and dress down, form words and express your feelings, look inside and out. Drown out the negative voices in your head and hear me when I say, you are stunning.

I’m here to remind you: You are unique. There’s no one else like you! Across the bustling streets of big cities to the quiet towns of rolling hills, no one will leave a fingerprint on the world like you. Using the talents and gifts you’ve intentionally been blessed with, you are capable and will flood the earth with goodness. Oh how special you are, Maria.

I’m here to remind you: You are loved. For your silly laughter that bubbles up from deep inside, the way you easily dry tears and give hugs when someone you care about is hurt, the small sacrifices you make. For your presence, compassion, delight, and all the little and big things you don’t consider significant - you are cherished and fully embraced by Love.

I’m here to remind you: You are enough. It may not always seem like it, especially when the world swallows your vulnerable heart and unsympathetically spits you back out. It’s easy to compare yourself to others who seem to have it all together: the rewarding job, the supportive husband, the growing family, the beautiful house, the perfect life. A flood of doubt and you easily convince yourself, you don’t deserve and won’t ever find any of what your heart most desires.

Maria, I beg you, don’t believe these lies.

Focus instead on pulling yourself out of this temporary rut and make smart, manageable goals. Maybe it’s putting your energy into a hobby you've always wanted to master (I recommend card making, but you could find passion in knitting, juggling, baking, or running). It could be throwing the extra hour you have after work into a volunteer program or finishing that long list of books by the end of the new year. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s simply getting out of bed, making yourself a hearty well-deserved breakfast and calling your mom to say hi.

Whatever your goals are, totally commit. Dare to discover more of your heart, surrender to finding true joy, and be brave enough to recognize your important place in the world.

You, exactly the way you are, are more than enough.

With love and support,
Melissa (a fellow mid 20-something trying to navigate this weird stage of life with ya)

------
Join me in celebrating Maria’s existence & reminding her that she is valuable! Write to her at:


Maria’s bundle
c/o Lucia E.
Fuente de los Hongos #104
Colonia las Fuentes.
37270 Leon, Gto
Mexico


------
Don’t miss out on writing to someone who needs to be lifted up during these 12 Days of Love Letters!!

Comments