Skip to main content

Support My Mission at La Finca

¡Hola mis amigos! I told you it wasn’t a joke, I’m actually going to Honduras. I’m in the beginning stages of packing up my apartment, buying plane tickets, saying messy goodbyes (or see you laters) and trying to train my brain to think in Spanish.

I cry at least once a day (happy and sad tears) when I think too hard about my growing checklist and the place I’m about to leave. But I mostly feel this incredible peace and comfort when I reflect on all that has transpired since my official commitment. I want to thank you for bearing with me as I endure this emotional roller coaster. With friends and family like you I’m never far from a hug, listening ear or shared prayer.

Which brings me to another way I can use your support. As unpaid volunteers, we are asked to raise $10,000 that will go directly toward costs of basic living, health insurance, language school, transportation and expenses of the children’s home.

I feel very blessed to have been selected to work within this faith-filled community and invite you to join and support me in this mission (all donations are tax deductible, as the Farm is a 501(c)3 organization):

Donate Online
: go directly to https://bit.ly/2UdLoOy (be sure you select my name!)
1) Or visit www.farmofthechild.org
2) Scroll over 'Our Missionaries'
3) Select 'Melissa Fitzpatrick’
4) And click 'Donate Now' to support my mission fund!

Donate by Check:
1) Make checks payable to 'Farm of the Child'
2) Put 'Melissa Fitzpatrick' in the memo line
3) Checks may be sent to:
        Farm of the Child
        1616 Nottingham Knoll Drive
        Jacksonville, FL 32225

I’m at this point of my life because of the many ways you have already helped me along my journey. When I reflect back, I can see exactly how God was preparing me for this. And it’s in trust I turn to each of you with a heart overwhelmed with love.

Please know my sincere gratitude for your support and consideration as I take this next leap of faith.

-----------------------------
About Honduras: Honduras is the poorest and least developed country in Central America, with an abundance of poverty, violence, crime, and disease. These conditions lead to weakened and often destroyed families.

Where I’ll be: I’ll soon be joining a group of missionaries to serve at a Catholic, family-style orphanage called Farm of the Child (Finca del Niño) in rural Trujillo, Honduras. After two months of language school in Guatemala beginning this August 2019, my service will continue until December 2020.

What Farm of the Child does: At the Farm, children who have survived abandonment, and difficult, often traumatic family situations, now receive a good education, health care, spiritual formation, and love. A team of Franciscan sisters, Honduran house parents, and international volunteers provide a home for 32 children and serve 100+ other families in the surrounding mountain villages through their K-9 school, health clinic, and various outreach efforts.

What I’ll be doing: Living in intentional community with a lifestyle rooted in spirituality and structured simplicity, I will work with the children, as well as the adults in their lives, to create and foster an environment that is conducive to their growth, learning, and healing.

Questions? Just ask! Thank you again for your interest in my quickly approaching adventure. If you’re curious how my becoming a missionary manifested, please read 'My Fiat.'

With love and deep gratitude,
Melissa

You know how much I love me a good letter. Please write to me in Honduras (especially as my access to technology will be extremely slim):
        Finca del Niño - Melissa Fitzpatrick
        Apartado Postal #110
        Trujillo, Colón
        Honduras, Central America

Comments